Living in Your Neighbourhood Staying Safe

Safety in Your Neighbourhood

It is important to feel safe and confident in your neighbourhood. This is your right.

Bradford is mostly a safe place – and most people are honest and sociable.

You can take sensible action to keep yourself and your neighbourhood even safer.

Personal safety hints

  • Where possible, avoid walking around at night on your own.
  • Try to stay in well-lit, busy areas.
  • Going out at night? Do not accept drinks from people you do not know and do not leave your drink unattended.
  • Keep your bag secure so your belongings are not on show.
  • Trust your instincts, if you do not trust someone.

Protecting yourself from burglary and theft

Thieves are often looking for an easy opportunity to steal. Here are some hints about how to protect yourself.

  • Don’t keep personal belongings such as car keys, money, mobile phones or laptops on view, either in your car or home.
  • Keep ground level windows and doors closed and locked if you are not in the room.
  • If you have a burglar alarm, use it when you go out or go to bed.
  • Shred receipts, bank statements, bills before throwing them in the bin.
  • If you are renting your home, and there is a problem with the property that puts you at risk of burglary, report it to your landlord. For example, a broken window or lock.
  • Consider using a timer on lamps to light up your home when you are out. They are not expensive. You can buy them from shops selling household goods, like Wilko or Argos.

Reporting a burglary or theft

Are you a victim of burglary? If yes, you should report it to the police.

If it is not an emergency, if the crime has already happened and no-one is in danger, you can call 101 or visit your local police station.

Emergency? Are you or someone else in danger? Or is the crime happening now? Call 999.

Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour causes harm to an individual or the community.
It can make people feel upset and scared.
It can happen where you live, or in a public place, or on public transport. Examples:

  • neighbours being a nuisance, or too noisy
  • vandalism and graffiti
  • drinking alcohol on the street
  • litter
  • begging
  • problems related to prostitution
  • inappropriate use of vehicles and abandoned vehicles

What can I do ?  

  • Speak to your local neighbourhood police team. They can investigate, provide support and advice. They can help you handle the situation.
  • Or Report Anti-Social Behaviour.
  • Or to report non-urgent anti-social behaviour you can phone 101
  • To give information anonymously – phone Crimestoppers 0800 555111
  • Report noise nuisance, litter, fly tipping, dog fouling – phone 01274 434366
  • Report illegal parking, graffiti, abandoned vehicles – phone 01274 431000
  • Report it to your landlord first, if antisocial behaviour is near the house you are renting  (council, housing association or private landlord).
  • Report an incident on the bus.

Drinking alcohol in a public place

In some parts of Bradford city centre it is against the law to drink in the street.
This is called a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO). You can be fined if you are caught.


It is important to consider your neighbours, when making noise.
You cannot avoid making some noise from your property.
But it could be a problem if the noise is unreasonably loud e.g. between 11pm and 7am.

Related Information