Here, find out where to go :
- to open a bank account
- to open another type of financial account
- to get a loan
If you have money problems, you can find out about organisations that can help.
Also, there are websites to help you to spend less money on the things you need.
- Bank and Building Society AccountsYou need to open a bank or building society account so that you can: get paid or receive welfare benefits There are many types of bank account. Make sure you […]
- Credit Union AccountsBradford District Credit Union offers a place to save and borrow money. It is open to people who live in Bradford or the surrounding area. Credit Unions can be a […]
- Post Office Card AccountsPost Office Card Accounts are similar to bank accounts, but can only be used to receive Welfare Benefit payments. They can be easier to set up than a bank account. A […]
- Getting a LoanA bank, building society, finance company or Bradford Credit Union can give you a personal loan. You do not usually have to be an existing customer. It is important to […]
- Help with Money ProblemsIf you are having problems with debt or living costs, it is important to ask for help as soon as possible. Citizens Advice Bradford provides free, independent advice to people […]
- Help with Food if You Need ItIf you do not have enough money to buy or cook food, there are organisations in Bradford that can help you. This could be : emergency help with food supplies, […]
- ShoppingBradford has many great places for shopping and leisure. Try Visit Bradford – Escape to the Shops. If you know where to look, you can save money. You can find […]
Bank & Money Listings
Emmaus is a homelessness charity that runs two large charity shops in Bradford. They sell furniture, homeware, clothing, toys, records and bric-a-brac. They have a furniture delivery service. They offer training and good volunteering opportunities.
The Cross Lane shop in BD7 is in a big old cinema building and has an ‘indoor street’ concept.
Plaza Cinema, Cross Lane, Bradford BD7 3JT
Mon – Fri 11:00-3:00; Sat 11:00-2:00 Phone: 01274 945270
The Sunbridge Road shop in BD1 is newly opened in April 2021
54-60 Sunbridge Road, Bradford BD1 2AB
Mon – Fri 09:30-4:00; Sat 10:00-4:00 Phone 01274 955870
Bradford Foundation Trust
The Bradford Foundation Trust is an organisation inspired by the Islamic tradition, uniting people of all faiths and none, to bring life to a wider and more diverse community spirit. The Prophet Muhammad, Upon Whom Be Peace, said : “The best companion in the sight of God is the one who is best to his companion, and the best neighbour in the sight of God is the one who is the best to his neighbour.”
Bradford Foundation Trust’s community work is with vulnerable people, for example refugees and asylum seekers, women fleeing violence, and families struggling to live. Through active fund-raising they finance and run several initiatives :
- food for hungry families – Food Box Campaign
- cash for needy families – Crisis Cash Campaign
- support for vulnerable people
- community access to partners (eg housing, advice, health)
During Covid, face to face contact is limited. You can phone Sabiya to make a referral on : 07504 908390 or email [email protected]
There is an indoor market that sells fruit, vegetables, fresh fish and meat, clothes etc.
In 2020, the new Darley Street Market is due to open on Darley Street BD1 3HH.
Salvation Army Shop, Wibsey
This is a local charity shop selling quality items at reasonable prices. Come in and browse in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere.
Eternity Charity Shop
Age UK is the leading charity for older people. Age UK Bradford District can help you with information and advice about :
- health and social care
- leisure and social activities
- family and personal matters
- your rights to local services
- ….. and most other things that affect your quality of life
You can call the Bradford number, above, during office hours.
If you need support or information outside office hours, contact Age UK’s advice line 8am-7pm every day. Phone 0800 678 1602.
Or contact The Silver Line’s 24 hour helpline. Phone 0800 470 8090.
Cancer Research UK
The Storehouse is a pay-as-you-feel cafe in BD4.
Hopefully the cafe will re-open after Covid. Check their website for updates.
Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara
Fresh vegetarian meals available in Langar Hall. Please cover your head, remove shoes. Open any day if you are hungry 7:00-20:00 (before 16:00 Sundays). The most social times are Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Girlington Advice and Training Centre
After Covid, the Drop-In service will resume.
GATC (Girlington Advice and Training Centre) provides free advice you can trust.
- Immigration (OISC Registered)
- Debt and Consumer Issues
Make an appointment. Ask for an interpreter, if you need it.
Family Action – Bradford Advice Service
During Covid, you can get telephone advice on 07504 552527.
Manningham Project is an advice service for people living in the area.
Normally, you can make a face to face appointment.
Mon to Fri 9:30 – 12:30 and 1:30 – 3:30.
You can usually get an interpreter as well.
- Utilities (gas, electricity and water supplies and bills)
St Vincent Bradford Support Centre is a community hub in BD3, offering a range of activities and support, including :
- migrant drop-in sessions
- a superstore
- 3 charity shops
- a cafe (coming soon!)
Look out for activities starting up again after Covid.
Also, at [email protected] Vincent’s, there is a free, independent and impartial advice service, with an experienced team of advisers. This is to help residents of the South Bradford Parliamentary Constituency.
Islamic Relief Shop Bradford
This shop sells clothes and accessories.
Proceeds go to Islamic Relief. The shop accepts monetary and clothing donations. There are also some volunteering opportunities.
Bradford’s Darley Street Oxfam shop sells books, clothes, music and homeware. There is also a special bridal store.
The shop accepts monetary and saleable goods donations. Profits go to the Oxfam charity.
There is a well-organised volunteering scheme. To find out more, you can ask at the shop.
British Heart Foundation Shops
The British Heart Foundation (BHF) is a big national charity.
It has three shops in the middle of Bradford.
The Westgate shop (01274 354975) sells furniture and electrical goods.
The Northgate shop (01274 729110) and Kirkgate shop (01274 305383) sell clothing, shoes, books, toys and homeware – nearly new and new.
BHF has a well-organised volunteer scheme. To find out more, ask at a shop.
50-54 Westgate BD1 2RD Mon – Sat 09:30 – 17:00; Sun 10:00 – 16:00
34 Northgate BD1 3SN Mon – Sat 09:30 – 17:00; Sun 10:00-16:00
47 Kirkgate BD1 1PZ Mon – Sat 09:30 – 17:00