Here, find out where to go :
- to open a bank account
- to open another type of financial account
- to get a loan
If you have money problems, you can find out about organisations that can help.
Also, there are websites to help you to spend less money on the things you need.
- Bank and Building Society AccountsYou need to open a bank or building society account so that you can: get paid or receive welfare benefits There are many types of bank account. Make sure you … Read more
- Credit Union AccountsBradford District Credit Union offers a place to save and borrow money. It is open to people who live in Bradford or the surrounding area. Credit Unions can be a … Read more
- Post Office Card AccountsPost Office Card Accounts are similar to bank accounts, but can only be used to receive Welfare Benefit payments. They can be easier to set up than a bank account. A … Read more
- Getting a LoanA bank, building society, finance company or Bradford Credit Union can give you a personal loan. You do not usually have to be an existing customer. It is important to … Read more
- Help with Money ProblemsIf you are having problems with debt or living costs, it is important to ask for help as soon as possible. Citizens Advice Bradford provides free, independent advice to people … Read more
- Help with Food if You Need ItIf you do not have enough money to buy or cook food, there are organisations in Bradford that can help you. This could be : emergency help with food supplies, … Read more
- ShoppingBradford has many great places for shopping and leisure. Try Visit Bradford – Escape to the Shops. If you know where to look, you can save money. You can find … Read more
Bank & Money Listings
Emmaus is a homelessness charity that runs two large charity shops in Bradford. They sell furniture, homeware, clothing, toys, records and bric-a-brac. They have a furniture delivery service. They offer training and good volunteering opportunities.
The Cross Lane shop in BD7 is in a big old cinema building and has an ‘indoor street’ concept.
Plaza Cinema, Cross Lane, Bradford BD7 3JT
Mon – Fri 11:00-3:00; Sat 11:00-2:00 Phone: 01274 945270
The Bank Street shop in BD1 is newly opened!
32-34 Bank Street, Bradford, United Kingdom
Mon – Fri 09:30-4:00; Sat 10:00-4:00 Phone 01274 955870
Bradford Foundation Trust
The Bradford Foundation Trust is an organisation inspired by the Islamic tradition, uniting people of all faiths and none, to bring life to a wider and more diverse community spirit. The Prophet Muhammad, Upon Whom Be Peace, said : “The best companion in the sight of God is the one who is best to his companion, and the best neighbour in the sight of God is the one who is the best to his neighbour.”
Bradford Foundation Trust’s community work is with vulnerable people, for example refugees and asylum seekers, women fleeing violence, and families struggling to live. Through active fund-raising they finance and run several initiatives :
- food for hungry families – Food Box Campaign
- cash for needy families – Crisis Cash Campaign
- support for vulnerable people
- community access to partners (eg housing, advice, health)
This venue, located off Westgate in the City’s Northern Quarter is a shopping discovery. This market offers quality fish, meat and fresh fruit and vegetables from all over the world. Lift access from our adjacent car park and shop mobility facilities means that everyone can easily access the market.
The new Darley Street Market is due to open on Darley Street BD1 3HH.
Eternity Charity Shop
Age UK is the leading charity for older people. Age UK Bradford District can help you with information and advice about :
- health and social care
- leisure and social activities
- family and personal matters
- your rights to local services
- ….. and most other things that affect your quality of life
You can call the Bradford number, above, during office hours:
Monday to Thursday 9.30am to 3.00pm
Friday 9.30am – 1.00pm
If you need support or information outside office hours, contact Age UK’s advice line 8am-7pm every day. Phone 0800 678 1602.
Or contact The Silver Line’s 24 hour helpline. Phone 0800 470 8090.
Pay as you feel Café based in BD4
The menu changes every day depending on what food we have available. However, it is always high quality and delicious and we always offer a choice of dishes.
Always vegetarian (and often with a vegan option), we aim to serve up at least 3 or 4 different dishes, accompanied by our self-service salad bar and with a range of delicious cakes and desserts to follow.
Guru Gobind Singh Gurdwara
Fresh vegetarian meals available in Langar Hall. Please cover your head, remove shoes. Open any day if you are hungry 7:00-20:00 (before 16:00 Sundays). The most social times are Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Girlington Advice and Training Centre
GATC (Girlington Advice and Training Centre) provides free advice you can trust.
- Immigration (OISC Registered)
- Debt and Consumer Issues
Make an appointment. Ask for an interpreter, if you need it.
West Bowling Community Advice & Training Centre
Guidance on career paths, jobs, training and qualifications/education
Free and impartial advice
Strictly private and confidential
Performed by qualified professionals
Listed below are some of the service they can provide advice for:
- Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit
- Disability Benefits
- Debt Advice
- Employment Support Allowance
01274 392896 is the number to call for the advice line.
Family Action – Bradford Advice Service
In partnership with West Bowling Training and Advice Centre and Karmand Centre, They provide advice across the Bradford East Constituency on welfare benefits, housing, debt, immigration, employment and consumer issues. Their Domestic Abuse Advisor supports BME women who are fleeing from or living with all forms of domestic violence.
Manningham Project is an advice service for people living in the area.
Normally, you can make a face to face appointment.
Appointments are held in the mornings 9.30 to 12.30 on Monday to Thursday.
The office closes for lunch between 12:30pm-1:30pm.
To make an appointment ring the office on Monday after 9am.
Make sure you ring on Monday as appointments will be allocated for the whole week.
You can usually get an interpreter as well.
- Utilities (gas, electricity and water supplies and bills)
Bradford District Credit Union
The Credit Union helps members avoid the financial exclusion and poverty that prevents them from participating fully in society. As a result people with poorer credit profiles can still access a loan. By providing regular money tips the aim is to help people that need support in order to be accepted for a loan.
St Vincent Bradford Support Centre is a community hub in BD3, offering a range of activities and support, including :
- migrant drop-in sessions
- a superstore
- 3 charity shops
- a cafe (coming soon!)
Also, at CHAS@St Vincent’s, there is a free, independent and impartial advice service, with an experienced team of advisers. To make an appointment or for more information, call us on 01274 731909 or e-mail us at [email protected]
Islamic Relief Shop Bradford
This shop sells clothes and accessories.
Proceeds go to Islamic Relief. The shop accepts monetary and clothing donations. There are also some volunteering opportunities.
Ark Charity Shop
- We work IN the community by providing extremely low cost goods to our customers, helping many who are on low wages or benefits.
- offering 4-8 week full time work placements for unemployed people of all ages, giving them a chance to work in various roles to gain as much experience as possible
- offering grants of up to £500 for charities, clubs, groups, projects, and other non for profit organisation in the Girlington, Heaton and Manningham area.
Bradford’s Darley Street Oxfam shop sells books, clothes, music and homeware. There is also a special bridal store.
The shop accepts monetary and saleable goods donations. Profits go to the Oxfam charity.
There is a well-organised volunteering scheme. To find out more, you can ask at the shop.
British Heart Foundation Shops
The British Heart Foundation (BHF) is a big national charity.
It has three shops in the middle of Bradford.
The Westgate shop (01274 354975) sells furniture and electrical goods.
The Northgate shop (01274 729110) and Kirkgate shop (01274 305383) sell clothing, shoes, books, toys and homeware – nearly new and new.
BHF has a well-organised volunteer scheme. To find out more, ask at a shop.
50-54 Westgate BD1 2RD Mon – Sat 09:30 – 17:00; Sun 10:00 – 16:00
34 Northgate BD1 3SN Mon – Sat 09:30 – 17:00; Sun 10:00-16:00
47 Kirkgate BD1 1PZ Mon – Sat 09:30 – 17:00
Barkerend Road Post Office
- Mon 10:00-17:00
- Tue 10:00-17:00
- Wed 10:00-17:00
- Thu 10:00-17:00
- Fri 10:00-17:00
- Sat 09:00-14:00
- Sun Closed
Royal Mail Bradford North Delivery Office
What can you do
- Print prepaid labels
- Drop off a prepaid item or return
- Bradford North is the delivery office for the BD1 4RS area.
- Monday 08:00-12:00
- Tuesday 08:00-19:00
- Wednesday 08:00-19:00
- Thursday 08:00-19:00
- Friday 08:00-18:00
- Saturday 08:00-16:00
- Sunday 11:00-15:00
Sunbridge Road Post Office
- Mon 09:30-17:15
- Tue 09:30-17:15
- Wed 09:30-17:15
- Thu 09:30-17:15
- Fri 09:30-17:15
- Sat Closed
- Sun Closed
Bradford Post Office
- Mon 09:00-17:30
- Tue 09:00-17:30
- Wed 09:00-17:30
- Thu 09:00-17:30
- Fri 09:00-17:30
- Sat 09:00-17:30
- Sun Closed