Primary and secondary school: if the school year has already started
The following information is for you, if you are:
- new to Bradford
- and your child is already old enough to go to primary or secondary school
- and the school year has already started (beginning of September)
First, you need to fill out a form called the ICAF (‘In-Year Common Application Form’).
You need to apply for at least 3 schools, but you can apply for up to 5.
- Bradford’s Access Team is happy to help. You can make an appointment. You can ask for an interpreter. You can get help to fill in the forms.
- Or make an appointment with the School Admissions Team. They are happy to help.
- Or ask for help at a local community advice centre, church, mosque, other place of worship.
When you have completed the form
- You can send it to Bradford Council by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or give it by hand, or post it to:
Admissions Team, Department of Children’s Services, Margaret McMillan Tower, Princes Way, Bradford BD1 1NN
- The form will then be sent to the schools for you.
- If the school cannot offer you a place, your child will be added to the waiting list.
The admissions team will also write to you. They will let you know about other schools in your area, and available places at these schools.
Primary school only: if your child needs to start school in September
This information is for you, if your child needs to start school for the first time in September.
If your child is due to start primary school in September, you will usually need to apply before January. You can only do this online. So you will need internet and an email address to apply. Use the Bradford Council website : apply for a place at school
If you do not have access to the internet at home, you could go to:
- your local library
- your local community centre, if they have computers for public use
Secondary school only: if your child needs to start school in September
If your child is due to start secondary school in September, you will receive a letter in August (one year in advance) inviting you to apply for their place at school.
You need to apply for a place for them between August and end of October the previous year. This is done online:
If you want help to apply for a secondary school place, go to You can get help to fill in the forms
Or – if your child is already at primary school in Bradford, you could ask the school to help you.
What happens if your child is not offered a place at their nearest school
Please be aware, there is a high demand for school places.
There may not be a place available at your nearest school, or the schools you have applied for.
If all the schools you have applied to are full, the School Admissions Team will write to you, to tell you which of your nearest schools have places. They will tell you what you can do next.
What happens if you have more than one child
If you have more than one child, the Schools Admissions Team will try to offer brothers and sisters a place at the same school, but this may not always be possible.
When you complete the application forms, you should include details of all the children you are applying for.
If you move house
If you move house you need to tell Bradford Council, and send proof of your new address, such as a council tax bill, tax credit statement, tenancy agreement or utility bill to:
Admissions Team, Department of Children’s Services,
Margaret McMillan Tower, Princes Way. Bradford BD1 1NN