Welfare Benefits

You may be entitled to extra financial support from the government.  This kind of support is called welfare benefits.

The benefits system in the UK is changing right now.

If you make a new, successful claim for benefits, you will receive Universal Credit. This is the name for a new single monthly payment. It replaces the old ones e.g. Jobseekers Allowance. See the list below.

If you are already claiming some benefits that Universal Credit will replace in the future, you will carry on receiving these as normal.

You will not be moved onto Universal Credit, unless your circumstances change.

In Bradford currently, benefits include these – from the old system:

  • Jobseekers Allowance if you are looking for work
  • housing benefit to help pay rent
  • childcare benefits to support families
  • benefits to top up low income, or support people with a disability or health problem

And from the new system:

  • Universal Credit

Find out more about different benefits in the UK.

For migrants living in the UK, there are different rules about who can claim benefits. This is based on:

  • where you are from
  • your immigration status
  • the type of benefits

To claim many benefits, you need to be looking for work, and you need to show evidence of this.

If you say you do not want a job, or you are not looking for a job, this can lead to your benefit being stopped. This is sometimes called ‘being sanctioned’.

Turn2us is a national charity that helps people access benefits.

It has useful information for migrants about claiming benefits.

You can also get help at :

CHAS@St Vincents  – Bradford South

Family Action -Bradford Advice Service (Bradford East)

Britannia House

Refugee Action – Children and Families Service

Finding a welfare adviser

To find out which welfare benefits you may be able to claim for and how you can apply, you must speak to a trained adviser.

You can do this by making an appointment.

You can speak to an adviser at: Citizens Advice Bradford.

Other venues available include GP surgeries, Children’s Centres, Community Centres.

Related Information