At Bradford University, you study for Higher Education qualifications (e.g. BA Hons and BSc Hons degrees, Masters level and PhD).  Bradford College also offers some degree courses.

Students of all ages can apply, if they have the right qualifications.


All universities and colleges offering Higher Education courses (degrees) will charge tuition fees. Fees are different for each university or college, but average about £9,000 per year.

Some universities, including Bradford, offer a small number of Sanctuary Scholarships for refugees each year. The scholarships are usually given to people who live locally. This can pay your tuition fees, and maybe a small amount towards your cost of living.
University of Bradford Sanctuary Scholarships

The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) website has lots of information and can help you decide what is right for you. UCAS is also the organisation that processes university applications (see below for more information about UCAS applications).

Choosing a university

It is important to choose a university carefully. There are lots of things to consider including:

  • location
  • type of university
  • subjects you can study
  • reputation with students
  • entry requirements
  • course fees

Unistats is a website which shows you what students have said about each university through the National Student Survey. It also includes helpful information about university entry requirements and fees, and how many students have successfully found work.

It is also a good idea to look at universities’ websites and to visit on open days.

Applying for a university

Universities also follow a similar term time as schools and most courses start in September.

You will usually need to apply through UCAS and the deadline for applications is in January. Some universities may accept applications later than this. You can find out more on the UCAS website when to apply.

First you need to decide which courses you want to apply for. Then you can register and make an online application with UCAS. There are different applications depending on what type of course you want to study.

When you have applied, you will usually be invited to the university for an interview with the tutors.

You don’t have to attend a university in Bradford.  You can choose any you like. However, here is some information about the universities and colleges offering higher education in the Yorkshire region. They all offer different degree courses. Many universities also offer training and qualifications for people already working as professionals.

Where you can study at degree level in Yorkshire

Bradford College

Bradford University (10,000 students)

Huddersfield University (20,000 students )

Hull University (16,000 students)

Leeds Beckett University (25,000+ students)

University of Leeds (30,000+ students)

Leeds Trinity University (4,000 students)

Leeds City College University Centre
(Leeds City College mainly offers Foundation Degrees, which are 2-year degrees and help students develop work skills. Some of the courses allow you to study for an additional year to gain a full degree.)

Leeds Arts University

Leeds Conservatoire (formerly Leeds College of Music) (1,200 students)

Sheffield University  (30,000 students)

Sheffield Hallam University (30,000 students)

York University  (20,000 students)

Related Information