Documents You Need to Work

  • Work visa? Maybe …
  • National Insurance Number
  • Working without a National Insurance Number

You may need a work visa to work in the UK, depending on which country you are from.

EU nationals do not need a work visa to work in the UK, at the moment. If you have the right to live in the UK, you only need to use your passport or national identity card – until 30 June 2021.

EU nationals are currently not able to apply for Nino.

A new immigration system will be in place from 1 January 2021 .

This information is correct – December 2020.  It may change when Brexit negotiations are complete.

If you are from outside the EU, you probably need to have a work visa.

There are different types of visa for work in the UK, for different types of work.

Each work visa has different conditions, and you may need to pass an assessment.

The different types currently are:

  • Tier 1 (for exceptionally talented individuals, entrepreneurs and investors to work in the UK)
  • Tier 2 (for skilled workers who have been offered a job to fill a gap in the workforce that cannot be filled by a settled worker)
  • Tier 5 (temporary work, in a role such as sport, a minister of religion or an entertainer)

Where you need to go

Find out more about visas and work permits.

If you need advice about immigration or visas, you must to speak to a trained adviser who is registered with OISC (Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner).

Find out more on the Immigration page.

Bradford Citizens Advice Bureau can:

  • provide free immigration advice on some issues
  • help you with where to find more immigration advice

Get Immigration Advice

You can find out more useful information on the Reed website. Reed is an employment agency.

Your Rights to Work in the UK

National Insurance Number

To work in the UK you will also need a National Insurance number (a NI number, sometimes called Nino).

You can only apply for it once you are in the UK.

To get a NI number, you must have the right to work or study in the UK.

Do you have a BRP?  If you have a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) you may already have a NI number printed on the back. Great! You do not need to apply for one.

Find out more about National Insurance Numbers.

Apply for a National Insurance Number.

Get help to apply for your NI number through the NI Application Line. Phone: 0800 141 2075 (open business hours)

Or, Bradford Job Centre Plus can usually help you apply.

What happens when you apply for a NI number

Jobcentre Plus may send you a letter and ask you to come to an interview. You will be asked about your circumstances and why you need a National Insurance number.

What you need to bring

Your letter will tell you which documents to bring to prove your identity. This may include:

  • passport or identity card
  • residence permit
  • birth or adoption certificate
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • driving licence

You will also be told at the interview how long it will take to receive your National Insurance number.

Working without a National Insurance number

You can start work before your National Insurance number arrives if you can prove you can work in the UK.

You should tell your employer you have applied for one, and give it to them when you have it.

Related Information