Wages and Tax

National Minimum Wage

The UK has a national minimum wage. 

It is illegal for an employer to pay less than this.

The amount you are paid (the rate) is different, depending on whether you are aged under 25, or 25+. The rate changes every April. You can find the current National Minimum Wage rate here.

Tax and National Insurance

You have to pay tax on your income if you live and work in the UK.

Your employer will deduct Income Tax from your wages.

But if you are self-employed you have to arrange this yourself. You need to complete a Self Assessment tax return.

You may also have to pay National Insurance. (This is unless you can prove you already pay National Insurance in another European Economic Area (EEA) country, or if you are from a country that has an agreement on social security with the UK.)

Your employer must provide you with a payslip every time you get paid. This tells you how much tax and National Insurance you have paid.

You can find out more about paying Income Tax and National Insurance.

Related Information