Education and Training for Adults

Over 18? Want to develop your work skills, get a qualification, or simply to learn something new? There are lots of courses you can do in Bradford.

Courses run in many different subjects including English and maths, health and well-being, arts and crafts, computers, business and more.

There are places to study across the city, including local neighbourhoods.

Some courses may be free. Others may charge fees. This depends on your circumstances.

Top Priority – if you need to learn more English …..

There are many English classes in Bradford. They range from small, informal English Conversation groups (some are women only), to formal classes at college. Find out more at :

Get advice about what and where you can study

Connecting Opportunities works with new migrants to develop their skills and opportunities to find work and be part of the local community. You can self-refer.

Skills House is a partnership including educational organisations, voluntary service providers and employers. It helps connect out of work adults to jobs and training. You can see a Connexions Personal Adviser. For younger people there is Skills House Youth.

The National Careers Service is run by the government. You can get personal advice. Phone:0800 100 900to make an appointment with a personal adviser. You can usually get an interpreter as well, if you need it.

There is an online search tool to look for training courses for different areas of work. There is also guidance to help you look for work.

Go to the National Careers Service website

The Jobcentre Plus may be able to offer you free training for up to 6 weeks in different industries or areas of work. You can speak to a work coach about this. You can access the training if you are receiving certain benefits – Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.

Apprenticeships allow you to work, get paid a wage and study for a qualification at the same time. You can study for an apprenticeship at any age.

Information about apprenticeships

Universities offer Higher Education courses (BA Hons and BSc Hons Degrees) and professional qualifications. Students of all ages can apply, if they have the right qualifications. Find out more in our Universities section.

Colleges in the area (e.g. Bradford College, Shipley College, Keighley College) offer many different Further Education courses and qualifications for adults. The courses may be part time or full time. They may be in college, or distance learning, or a mixture. They include English, Maths, ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages), GCSEs and A levels in several subjects. As well, they include vocational qualifications eg Health and Social Care, Engineering, Web Design, Start Your Own Business, Beauty Therapy and many more. They also include some Access to Higher Education courses. (These courses can help you get onto a university course, if you do not have the ‘regular’ qualifications that you usually need eg A levels.)

Community Interpreter courses are running at Bradford College. This offers the opportunity to develop skills and gain a qualification to become an interpreter.

Enable 2 is a Community Interest Company that provides interpreting services.

It works with the diverse communities of Bradford and trains people to become interpreters.

How to find out if your qualifications are recognised in the UK

UK NARIC is the UK national agency that compares international qualifications and skills. They can provide an official document. You need this document to get your qualifications recognised in the UK:

  • to prove your qualifications for a job, or …
  • to study a new UK qualification.

There is a fee that currently starts at around £50. If you need translations, some languages are free of charge. For some languages, you may have to pay extra.

Phone: 0871 330 7033
(Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, calls cost 11p per minute)

Big Hint – if you need to use NARIC to get onto a Bradford University course, ask [email protected] if they can help you with this.

Related Information