Living in Your Neighbourhood

Waste and Bin Collection

It is important to dispose of your household waste correctly, so it does not cause problems for you, your neighbours, or the local environment. Bins are emptied by Bradford Council.

Most housing in Bradford has two types of bins for your household waste.

  • Green bins: for general waste that cannot be recycled.
  • Grey bins: for waste to recycle – paper, cardboard, glass bottles, jars, cans, aerosols, plastic bottles, plastic food trays, yoghurt pots, margarine/butter tubs, food and drinks cartons (all together in the same recycling bin).

Bins are collected alternate weeks: Week 1 – green; Week 2 – grey; Week 3 – green etc.

  • Only one green (general waste) bin per collection, per household, will be emptied.
  • Bins should have the lid closed with no waste at the side. 
  • Householders must put the right things in the right bin.
  • Materials which can be recycled should not be put in the general waste bin.
  • If you live in a shared house or flat, you might have a bigger bin that is shared with other people living in the same property.
  • Brown bins: for garden waste, emptied x12 per year. The service costs £36 per year.

Find out more about using your household bins correctly.

If you need a free recycling bin you can order one online. You can have more than one recycling bin.

Putting your bins out

Bins are collected on different days of the week in different areas of Bradford.

You can find out when your bins are collected.

  • You should put your bin out on the street before 7am on collection day.
  • Bring it back into the grounds of your property on the same day after it has been emptied.


The Council has information that tells you where to dispose of different items of waste.

Council tips

  • There are 3 council tips and recycling sites in Bradford where you can take big items such as household appliances, furniture, and other items you are not allowed to put in your bin.
  • You will need a resident’s permit.
  • This website tells you where to find your local site, and how to get a resident’s permit.

Be aware, there are costs to dispose of some types of household waste.

Giving items to charity

  • You could donate your unwanted items to a charity shop if they are in good condition.
  • Some shops will collect them from you if you do not drive.
  • Remember you can also use charity shops to find affordable second-hand furniture and items for your house.
  • Find out more about charity shops.

Council collections

  • The council may also collect some items from you if you cannot transport them to a tip.
  • Be aware, it can take up to 3 weeks. There is a cost per item and rules you have to follow.

Find out more on the Bradford Council website

What you are not allowed to do


  • It is illegal to leave your waste on the street or council land.
  • This includes household waste and large items e.g. furniture, electrical goods or mattresses.
  • This is called fly-tipping and you could be fined up to £50,000 if you are caught.
  • If you see fly tipping you should report it to the Council.


  • It is illegal to drop litter and cigarettes in a public place.
  • This includes on the streets outside your house.
  • If you are caught, you could be fined from £100 to £1,000.


There are some rules in Bradford that you must follow if you have a dog.

  • It is illegal to leave dog poo on the street or in a public place and you could be fined £80.
  • You must pick it up in a bag and put it in a bin.
  • Your dog must be under control at all times and on a lead on pavements or next to roads.
Related Information